Sea Crest School seeks dynamic educators who thrive in a collaborative community, work to stay at the forefront of their field, have a genuine love for children, and maintain a commitment to excellence. We consistently innovate to find the most thoughtful ways to reach each learner on our campus, to help them grow as people and as scholars. Expectations are high for our staff as well as for our students. We look for people who will bring a diversity of experiences to our collegial environment and soar when given the freedom to do what is best for students.
Design and Innovation Teacher
Sea Crest School seeks an innovative and experienced Design and Innovation Teacher (DIT) for the 2017- 2018 school year. This is an 80% to a full-time position at the school.
The Design and Innovation Teacher oversees the Innovation Lab (iLab) and leads the school’s analysis of emerging technologies, instructional theories and innovative approaches to empower student learning and creativity, developing a dynamic and engaging program that includes an introduction to skills, safety and equipment in the iLab, as well as opportunities for creative problem-solving and design. The DIT serves as a mentor and support to faculty for the integration of project-based learning units in the iLab. S/He, in coordination with members of the Technology Committee, identifies the best tools, devices, and platforms to meet the current and future needs of the school. S/he works closely with the school’s Technology Specialist and Computer Science Teacher (TSCST) and Director of Facilities (DF) to support and troubleshoot issues related to the school’s technology equipment and infrastructure. Above all else, the Design and Innovation Teacher will encourage our students to believe in themselves and provide the real-time support and guidance they need to make progress on their projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Fully supports the School’s mission and is a highly engaging, positive and assertive ambassador for the School.
● Prepares information and reports regarding the iLab, as requested by the Head of School (HOS).
● Serves on committees as needed.
● Performs other teacher duties and oversees special assignments as necessary or assigned by the Director of Middle School (DMS) or HOS.
Innovation Lab Responsibilities
● Maintains a safe iLab environment. Establishes and enforces all iLab and Sea Crest rules and policies.
● Performs general iLab facilities maintenance and repair; performs equipment repairs and preventative maintenance.
● Manages iLab budget and inventory of materials and consumables; organizes project storage space; maintains an organized iLab space.
● Manages iLab calendar and facility use.
● Creates a fun, safe and engaging environment for students; is available to them for questions and assistance; assists them with their projects and in safely using iLab equipment.
● Brainstorms project design ideas and curricular planning with teachers, coaches, mentors, and trains faculty and staff on safe use of iLab equipment.
● Plans and instructs two iLab integrated Middle School Exploration classes per trimester.
● Plans and instructs scheduled Lower School iLab sessions each week.
● Leads at least two Extended Day Program Maker Club sessions per week.
Technology Systems Support Responsibilities
● Researches new platforms, devices, software and methodologies to ensure that the School stays abreast of technological and educational innovations.
● Assists the DF and TSCST with:
a. establishing the K-8 scope and sequence of technological skills and knowledge
b. software and hardware troubleshooting of the School’s technological equipment
c. diagnosing and completing simple hardware repairs
d. providing classroom technology support (including but not limited to: Smart Boards, projectors, document cameras, iPads and Chromebooks)
e. supporting peripherals including printers, copiers, projectors, scanners and audio-visual equipment.
Skills and Knowledge
● Innovative, growth mindset, self-starter who works efficiently to attain goals.
● Strong organization skills with attention to detail. Ability to work on multiple fronts and deal with frequent deadlines.
● Highly skilled in the following areas: interpersonal/relationship building, analytical/strategic thinking, organization, time management and problem-solving.
● Strong collaboration skills to work closely with teachers and other experts in the field.
● A role model of high standards of professional behavior.
● Willing to embrace the lifestyle of working in a small independent school by being a team-player and working the amount of time that is required to model excellence in job performance.
● Computer literacy including proficiency with various software and hardware systems, Internet, e-mail, Google Apps, Microsoft Office, modeling, and design software.
● Ability to quickly learn new software applications.
● A strong sense of ethics and integrity.
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred. Relevant industry, job, or hobbyist experience desired.
License / Certification
First Aid, AED and age-appropriate CPR certification
Valid California Driver License
● Mentoring or teaching experience.
● Relevant industry, job or hobbyist experience.
● Experience in a not-for-profit and/or independent school environment highly preferred.
● Facilities maintenance and repair experience.
● Experience with computer networks, including software and hardware maintenance.
Physical and Psychological Demands
● Must be:
a. physically and mentally capable of performing multiple tasks simultaneously and be capable of consistently functioning well in a fast-paced environment
b. able to support and speak passionately about the School’s mission
c. able to give and take criticism and direction well.
● Must enjoy working collegially and congenially with faculty/staff, parents, and children in a school that highly values community.
● Must exhibit the following qualities to be a successful team player:
a. trustworthiness and the ability to trust other team members and supervisor
b. ability to communicate in a timely and professional manner to address conflicts
c. strong evidence of ownership and accountability for work
d. consistent and superior attention to detail and results.
Salary and Benefits
The salary is competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.